Beaumont Kitchen’s Lamb Bolognese
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- ¾ lbs onions, diced
- ½ lbs carrots, diced
- ¼ lbs celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (ideally with a mandolin)
- 500 mL red wine
- 200 mL 2% milk
- 1.5 28 oz cans tomatoes
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- Brown the lamb in batches in a large rondeau (a Dutch oven will also work or you can use a stock pot in a pinch). Keep the seared meat off to the side.
- Once all the meat is seared, lower the temperature and add all the veg and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Wrap all the herbs with the peppercorns in a cheesecloth. Add the seared meat and the cheesecloth back to the rondeau and deglaze with red wine.
- Once the wine is almost all reduced, add the milk and reduce by half.
- Once reduced, add the two cans of tomatoes and simmer for about one hour or until desired consistency is reached. Adjust the seasoning and remove the cheesecloth.
- Serve with fresh egg tagliatelle or any other broad long pasta. Garnish with freshly shaved Pecorino.